I’m going to be honest with you guys… this weekend, I was bad, like really really bad. My boyfriend and I took a pre-spring break getaway to Northern Michigan (Petoskey and Boyne!), hours north of my Vita-Mix to make my smoothies and good eating conscience. But face sized homeade cookies for breakfast? Gorgeous Michigan Cherry french toast? Heavenly key lime pie with gobs of whipped cream?? YES PLEASE!!
But you know what? I don’t regret one bite. Sometimes it’s necessary to break your routine, spice it up, relax, and just enjoy yourself. Plus the aftermath is all I need to be reminded why I love my whole foods lifestyle. My energy is shot, I feel gross, and I swear I never want to look at something greasy/sugary/glutenous again. So let’s all be honest guys- who fell off the wagon this weekend?? Who feels like they need to reboot and rid their bodies of copious amounts taco bell and margaritas?! KEEP READIN AMIGOS!
1. Don’t feel guilty!! Don’t kick yourself for your choices, but take a few mins to analyze how you feel- mentally and physically. Forgive yourself right now, don’t say things like “I’m not going to eat anything today” or “I need to go on a diet/detox now” but value your body that you’re going to stick to your goals.
Speaking of goals, what are yours?? Is it time to step them up? Are they too drastic? Take 3 minutes right now to make a short term goal list- this next week for example. Just frickin do it. What are you going to make a change in TODAY?! (Sleep, exercise, nutrition, positive self talk, meditation, spending time with family/friends, reading that book you’ve always wanted to prayer etc). Set yourself up for success and you WILL be successful, and this is the 1st step.
2. Sip that sucker! Get a cute fun camelback/contigo/whatever just hydrate the crap outta yourself! Literally, the crap, staying hydrated with water (not pop, juice, or coffee) is the best way to reboot and flush toxins out of your system. I could write a novel on how much of an impact this will have on your life, but I’ll spare you guys and just leave on that note.
3. Don’t be rash. Don’t go on some crazy 2 day lemonade cleanse. The best way to detox is gradually with a whole foods based diet. You’ll just end up hungry, cranky, and tired- things you should never feel to be “healthy”
4. Sugar- the only thing you should 100% cut out. Try going 1 week. I’m challenging YOU- this week (unless you’re on spring break- enjoy that pina colata while you can). I’m not exaggerating in the least when I say it’s sugar, not fat/carbs/cholesterol that’s keeping you from your ideal body and health. If you want to feel and look your best, go 1 week, starting TODAY, with no sugar. Read labels! Companies are tricky, they know sugar is 8x more addicting than cocaine, so they’ll sneak it into your foods with words like corn syrup, or any word ending in -ose. Try making things like pasta sauce and yogurt parfaits from scratch.
5. Clean out and restock your panty: out of sight, out of mind. Time to toss that wilted kale you didn’t know how to use, and those chips and cookies you’ve been secretly binging on. Make a meal plan/list for that week so you have total control over your meals and don’t waste any money, food or time and hit up the grocery store. Plan meals that boost your energy and health, so you don’t end up getting weighed down physically and mentally by high cal low nutrient garbage.
6. An amazingly powerful and simple way to start everyday and gently detox: warm lemon water! This has been getting a lot of press lately, and for good reason! There is nothing more alkalizing, detoxifying, enzyme rich, or delicious than lemon water! Personally I’ve graduated to making a super detox tea every morning, and I’ve been sipping on it all day (right now in fact!) after my weekend. Spice up your camelback with a lemon wedge whenever you can too (don’t mix with medications though!) Use warm not boiling so you don’t kill all of the enzymes and nutrients 🙂
Delaney’s Super Detox Tea
few shakes of organic cayenne pepper, turmeric, ceylon cinnamon (way more benefits), ginger (freshly grated or ground), and RAW honey and RAW apple cider vinegar (I love Bragg’s)
*I use organic spices whenever possible, otherwise they’re super concentrated with pesticides, toxins, and irradiated (with 1/2 a billion chest X-rays worth of gamma radiation) which kills all the benefits. I use my local health food store’s bulk bins- super cheap and quality.
7. Sweat it out. Go to the gym, go for a run, check out that new hot yoga place everyone raves about, or have a dance party. Just move your booty. Too bitter cold to go outside? There’s 1000s of sweet workout videos of all kinds on YouTube fo freee, so no excuses! 90% of the hardest part of this is just your mental talk, so just do it. Get motivated by watching a YouTube video or looking at your super cute bathing suit you just bought for spring break- anything! You’ll feel amazing after, I promise!
drum roll please…… RECIPES!!
We’re all human here guys, the important lesson I want you guys to take away from this is to not let the weekends get in the way of your week. I want the best for you all so if you’re struggling, need advice or motivation feel free to message me! I’m here to help you along your journey
xox Love and Happiness