It’s finally looking like spring outside, which means we can come out of hibernation and get outside! Which is my fav place to workout. I’m going to teach you everything you need to know to get the best workout in less time, that will give results. If you don’t feel like going to the gym, don’t have much time/don’t enjoy running on a treadmill or elliptical for an hour, and want to get the best, fat-burning workout, keep reading!!
So it’s warm out and you’re thinking “oh snap, I’m about to be living in a bathing suit tanks and shorts in no time, I’ve got some work to do!”
Well, let’s get to work.
1. The warm-up
Contrary to what we learned in middle/high school, static stretching (reaching for your toes, etc) before working out won’t warm up your muscles and is downright dangerous. All professional teams and athletes do plyometrics, aka things that warm up your muscles like butt kickers, high knees, skips, lunges, jogging, short sprints, and jump rope. You want your blood pumpin and a some sweating by the time you get to work, so spend about 10-15 minutes.
2. The key to the BEST fat-busting, sweat-dripping, quick workout
Whether your day is filled with meetings, studying, parenting, work, or even just day drinking with the pals, we’re all busy, and we’d like to think we have no time to squeeze in a workout. You put it off for when you think you’ll have more time, but the truth is you make time for what is important, and if you can’t make time now you probably aren’t making it a priority, and never will get around to it. So here’s how to get in the best shape, in the least amount of time. It’s exploding all over the fitness world, and every pro I’ve talked to swears by them.
→ 5 benefits of HIIT workouts: high intensity interval training- In a nutshell it’s low intensity intervals alternating with high. I use it from running to squatting.
- Efficient: HIITs are ideal for a busy schedule and fast results. Research has shown that it burns fat tissue 50% more efficiently and speeds up your metabolism throughout the rest of the day. Within 15 mins you’ve done more than the girl on the tread for an hour. A 2011 study by the American College of Sports Medicine: just 2 weeks of HIIT improves your aerobic capacity as much as 6 to 8 weeks of endurance training.
- No equipment necessary: You don’t need a gym or dumbells to run, bike, or jumprope, all you need are fast feet, high knees, and anything to get your heart rate up. Don’t spend a beautiful day in a nasty gym, you can do these anywhere
- Lose weight, not muscle: Losing fat and muscle mass go hand in hand as dieters know. But while steady cardio encourages muscle loss, studies show weight training and HIIT allows body fat loss and muscle gain
- Increase metabolism and decrease age: not only does increase muscle rev up your metabolism, but HIITs stimulate production of your human growth hormone (HGH) by 450% during 24 hours after your workout. HGH causes a spike in calories burned throughout the day and also slows down the aging process, so you’re body will glow from the inside- out!
- It’ll challenge you: This isn’t some magic pill, eat anything you want, don’t do anything and get a 6 pack. It’s not a workout you can do while chatting with a friend or facebook stalking, you’re going to be huffing and puffing harder than ever, but by fighting through the pain you’re going to get results
So that would look like bursts of 100% trying (sprinting, squat jumps, lunge jumps) of 30-60 seconds, 15 second break, repeat for 5 minutes. You’ll feel like you’ve just done a 20 minute workout, but only in 1/4 of the time! Every kind of athlete can benefit from these, from the long distance runners, to body builders, to the not so athletic. So let me walk you through a membership and excuse free workout.
So now you’ve learned the keys to getting the best workout..
Let’s jump right in, get a cute workout outfit on, make sure you’re fueled properly with a piece of fruit 15 minutes before and a handful of nuts, and let’s go outside!
*You’ll need a watch or your phone for the stop-watch.
What I did today, and what you can do to:
THE BEST FAT-BURNING WORKOUT
Warm-up/Flexibility Routine: find a road/sidewalk/yard
30 seconds of each, 5 second rest
- butt kickers
- high knees **tip: super quick, short steps, bringing your knees up as high as you can with your lower abs, you should feel them working!
- side shuffle- both sides
- backward jog
- lateral hops
Ok you’re ready, let’s go run.
It’s simple. Sprint, jog, repeat.
Let’s start off at a nice moderate jog for a 90 seconds.
OK now sprint for 60 seconds!
That’s what it’s going to look like for 12 minutes for my newbies, 15 minutes for the intermediate, and 20 for you athletes. The most important tip is to concentrate on your form and breathing. Take deep deep breaths in your nose, out your mouth, develop a pattern (I always make a rhythm like a song) and on your form. Keep your core tight and you’ll feel/look like you did 1000 crunches after and pump your arms fists unclenched. If you can’t make it through, just keep pushing until you absolutely cannot keep going. But seriously push yourself! There is a difference between uncomfortable and undoable. Get uncomfortable! That’s where you begin to get real results! This should not be easy, this should make your abs, hips, calfs, arms, booty, and thighs burn like the sun!
Cool-down and stretch
When you’re done you might wanna just take a little cat nap where you stop. Catch your breath, and jog off the lactic acid. This will help your muscles recover so you get the most out of your workout and aren’t as sore tomorrow. Walk for like 5-10 minutes and stretch really really well.
And CONGRATS! You will be done. That’s it, 20 minutes later you will have just had the best workout of your life
Have a recovery snack or meal with shakes like these
Stay tuned for my next workout!
xox Love and Health