Cold season has officially arrived, I am surrounded by stuffy noses, sore throats, coughs, and Vick’s night-time. Not to mention there’s a blizzard out my window! But I have just what the doctor ordered, a warm, delicious, and nourishing tortilla soup, by far the best!
BEST Tortilla Soup!
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 organic celery ribs, chopped
- 3 organic carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can organic GMO free corn
- 2 1/2 cups broth/water
- 1 (28 oz.) can organic diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 packet MSG free taco seasoning OR 1 tbsp cumin + 2tsp sea salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 lb organic chicken breast or thighs, cubed
*if you don’t have cumin, throw in a packet of MSG free taco seasoning
**if you’re feeling ambitious throw in 2 chopped jalapenos!
- crushed gmo free tortilla chips
- Sour cream/greek yogurt
- shredded cheese
- (my favorite) avocado
*Vegetarian option: Replace chicken with 1 1/2 cups of cooked quinoa or wild rice, or 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans
Melt the butter in a large stockpot over medium heat, and saute the onions, celery and carrots for about 10 minutes, until tender. Add the garlic and chopped chicken (if using), and saute for another 5 minutes, or until the chicken is nearly cooked through. Add the water, diced tomatoes with juice, jalapenos, cumin, sea salt, black pepper and chopped cilantro, and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the temperature and allow to simmer for 25 minutes.**superstar tip: throw the veggies and garlic in a food processor and pulse to avoid all the chopping!
HEALTHY Pumpkin Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread
-Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen
Zucchini?? I can already hear you guys thinking that… but yes zucchini!! Have you ever had zucchini bread? It’s the best! It gives this bread no weird flavor, just makes it super moist and fluffy! Not to mention replaces the oil and sneaks in some extra veggies 😉 hehe. I freaking love pumpkin, and this is the perfect time of year to indulge in everything-pumpkin. This is my FAV healthy pumpkin bread recipe, it’s so perfect as a snack or breakfast on the run, I like spreading nut butter on top, but then again I like nut butter on top of anything.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (organic if can, sub GF if needed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, squeezed of excess moisture (throw in food processor and squeeze out water)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk (use almond milk for lactose free!)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
**it’s delish with 1/2 cup coconut and pecans/walnuts added too!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger.
- In a separate large bowl combine pumpkin, zucchini, honey, oil, egg, and vanilla until well combined and smooth. Whisk in almond milk. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Gently fold in chocolate chips, reserving a few for sprinkling on top. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10-15 minutes, then remove bread from pan and transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
Seriously, your family/roommates will love you for making these.
In health happiness and love,